Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Latest Kijiji Purchase

Remember that nice dark brown french provincial dresser & nightstand set I bought? Well, the lady selling it is clearing out her mom's estate and recently posted another gotta-have set on Kijiji! As soon as I saw it, I knew I needed to make it mine! It is an antique empire revival claw foot settee and the matching chair!




The details are just amazing!




The settee has been stripped right down to the frame and requires some regluing of the frame. It is not in perfect condition but is beautiful as it is. The chair still contains some of the upholstery but is in the process of being stripped. The frame itself is in better shape than the settee. An antiques appraiser told the seller that they are from Europe and over 100 years old. From my research online, they are made out of mahogany wood. The price for these two lovelies-in-waiting? $50 for the set! I know, a steal, I think! The boys have already been suggesting various different fabrics and all are some sort of animal print! They know their mom too well! This will certainly be a labor of love as I will have to figure out how to reupholster it without knowing how it was done originally. I also have to figure out how to redo the seat with webbing and springs. I love the challenge that it presents and I am thrilled to have them in my hands. I think I will wait until I find the perfect fabric but, like the boys said, I will probably lean more towards the fun and modern as opposed to the traditional. A long while ago I bought MANY packages of silver nail heads for really, REALLY cheap with no known project in mind. I think this just might be that project!

So, help me out, if you can. Any suggestions on how to reweb the seat cushion area? Suggestions on how to reglue the frame? Suggestions on fabric? If you had these frames, what would you do with them? I would love to hear from you!

2 comments:

  1. These pieces of furniture are quite the find! So beautiful :). I look forward to seeing what you do with them. And isn't it just as fun finding your own style and then finding pieces that fit :)!? And at a great price :)!!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also have a settee almost identical to yours but mine is a three piece set. I have just started working on redoing it. Mine was stripped down like yours and have springs in the seats. I ordered some replacement springs for some that are broke. Look me up on Facebook. I'll add you as a friend then you can see pics of mine if you like.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails