They arrived just shortly after 8am this morning, pulling in just after I arrived. I unloaded the kids and set them up with breakfast at a safe viewing distance while the crane truck set himself up. It is quite interesting to watch it put out its "feet" and place them on large platforms made of wood. Then it lifts itself up onto those feet and completely off the tires of the truck. It then adds counter-weights to ensure the truck is not going to fall over and out comes the really, really, reeeeealy long arm. At the end of the arm is a ball and at the end of the ball is a hook.
Straps are wrapped around the 2x10 bracing we added to the trusses of the roof and hooked onto the ball.
Then, very carefully, the roof is lifted. And with a slight spring, it is hanging in the air, about a foot off the frame it was sitting on. A few creaks and groans could be heard but it was in the air and it was holding together! We were thrilled and watched with anxious excitement as it started flying in the air.
Now, before you think the crane did all the work and we just watched, each of us had a very important job to do. Mr.W was the signal man, telling the crane operator what he wanted with all these hand signals I have yet to figure out. A spinning of the finger or a rubbing of the fingers or a squeezing of the hand all mean different things - either up, down, rotate, sideways, I want lunch, you look good, I'm milking a cow, etc. It is an easy and effective way to communicate if you know the language, which I obviously don't. Our pastor (who came to help just for this), Mr.G, Mr.E and Jay were stationed at the four corners of the roof. It was their job to ensure the roof sat down on the wall just where it was supposed to. Mr.W made sure this happened by running back and forth to give commands to the crane operator and then running to the corner of the roof to ensure it was coming down like it should.
And Mr.W looked so surprised that it fit. That should bother me a little but it doesn't. Of course it fit, we built it. I mean, Mr.W built it so of course it fit. Roof #1 was done.
On to roof #2. This roof was only 3000 pounds in weight so it was supposed to be easier.