Sunday, July 4, 2010

Quick Apple Rhubarb Turnover

I love rhubarb and I love looking for new recipes that incorporate it. I found this recipe on the Canadian Living website and it is very quick, easy and delicious! I thought I would share it with you! And, yes, because it is low on sugar, I can enjoy it too!





2 apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
1 cup chopped rhubarb
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp cinnamon
Half pkg (450 g pkg) puff pastry
1 egg yolk
2 tsp granulated sugar

1. Line rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside. In a large bowl, toss together apples, rhubarb, sugar, flour, lemon juice and cinnamon.

2. Unroll pastry onto prepared pan. Spoon apple mixture lengthwise along half of the pastry, leaving 1/2 inch border uncovered. Whisk egg yolk with 1 tsp water; brush some over border. Using parchment paper to lift, fold uncovered pastry over filling; with fork, press edges to seal. Brush top with egg wash. Cut 4 evenly spaced 2-inch slashes on top; sprinkle with sugar.

3. Bake in centre of 375F oven until golden and filling is tender, about 40 minutes.

4. Let sit awhile before serving as the filling is extremely hot. Serves 6-8.

Chantelle's notes:

*Sometimes I use only 1 apple and 2 cups of rhubarb. Makes it a little more tart but oh-so-yummy! And I never peel the apples!

*Rather than using an additional sheet of parchment paper, I simply use the paper the puff pastry is on.

*I recommend using all-butter puff pastry which is sold boxed in rolls. I buy President's Choice brand from Superstore and stock up on it when it is on sale!

*Knowing that the filling is a large amount for the size of the pastry, I gently roll the pastry a little larger with a rolling pin before adding the filling. Just my preference!

*Finally, I only sprinkle 1 tsp of sugar (if that) on top before baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails