Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Hatchlings!

Remember those black-capped chickadees that made a home in one of my birdhouses? Well, I knew there were eggs in there but today I noticed the mom and dad spending very little time in the house and a tonne of time gathering insects to bring to the house. That could only mean one thing - babies!




If I counted correctly, there are 10 little babies in that tiny nest! How a bird 5 1/4 inches long and weighing only 11 grams manages to lay 10 eggs is beyond me! Just in case you wanted to know, an average brood is 6-8 eggs so our Mrs. Black-Capped Chickadee is a bit of an overachiever!


I just love the tufts of feathers sticking out of the back of their head! So adorable! And, I am guessing, very newly hatched!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails