Friday, December 11, 2009

A Father's Gift


I cannot remember when it started. I think it was only when we were out of the apartment but I could be wrong. Whatever the case, one evening, my father-in-law showed up at the door with a gift. For me. As I opened it, I found a beautiful red poinsettia. I was so touched. A gift from my FIL for me. And it has happened almost every year since. Sometime in the weeks leading up to Christmas, he shows up, by himself, with a beautiful red poinsettia. One year I waited and waited and waited. He never came. I didn't want to act like it was expected but I was so disappointed. I told him later on after the holidays that I really missed getting that gift from him. He laughed. He said he didn't think I really cared. Oh, how wrong he was. I absolutely love it. I always give him a really big hug. It is a big deal to me. Maybe because I don't remember getting flowers from my dad. Whatever the reason, I was thrilled and touched all over again when he showed up two nights ago with that beautiful simple gift. A father's gift.

2 comments:

  1. I love this story! I love that he makes it a point to go buy something so special just for you and to come over by himself just to see you! So sweet and thoughtful! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that made me tear up!!! What a great man! And what a fabulous tradition I'd like to suggest to my husband. :) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails