A thousand square feet used to feel like a lot of space. A ton of space. Then the Lord added 5 kids in just under 6 years (2 boys then 3 girls) and the walls appear to be closing in fast! However, the Lord has blessed us immensely with the opportunity to build a new home, a larger home, a dream-come-true country home! Join us as we embark on this crazy DIY adventure as we literally build our next house and home, giving all glory to God our Father!
A bit over a month ago I found the perfect lamp for the nursery makeover I am working on - it was a $5 thrift store find. It was a beautiful lamp - well, it had potential. I could imagine a different color base and a different color shade and I knew it was the one.
And like all things around here, it takes a bit of time before I am either:
A. Able to start a project
B. Able to finish a project
C. All of the above, all of the time!
So, sometime between then and now I spray painted the base silver. I was hoping for a chrome color - you know, a nice shiny silver. I wasn't finding the spray paint I wanted so I went with this one from Valspar.
I love the way it turned out. A very soft, dull silver but with much potential. Today I finished the base while the kids were doing chores. I took some charcoal craft paint and a sponge brush and dabbed some paint on the brush then proceeded to dab most of it off so it is almost a dry-brushing technique. I then rubbed the brush in each of the recessed areas on the lamp.
I would paint three stripes at a time so the paint wouldn't dry too much before I was able to wipe it off.
Then using a paper towel (or in my case, a paper napkin), I wiped most of the paint off, until I liked what it looked like. I wanted it dark in the depth of the recessed area and lighter on the outsides, if that makes sense. Since this is a very heavy lamp base most likely made of resin, it is not a smooth surface, so the black paint gets into all the little nooks and crannies of the lamp, which I love. Gives it an antiqued look. Very different than the chrome look I originally wanted but I like this even better! So, I continued to rub black paint over most of the lamp and then wiping it off, making sure there were no definite lines anywhere. It needed to blend but if some areas were darker than others, that was fine by me.
I love how it turned out! It gives so much definition to the details of the lamp and gives it a beautifully antiqued look. So much better than the brown clay look of before. I sealed it with a satin spray sealant and now the base is complete. Next step - the shade (which I stripped down to the wire so that will be interesting to redo!)! I cannot promise it will happen anytime soon but I do promise to show you the process and the end result!